Monday, May 5, 2014

International Bereaved Mother's Day




         As I have walked down this difficult path, I have been blessed to meet some amazing women, who have been bold enough to share their stories of loss and grief. They are forever changed by the losses they have experienced, but they all share a common purpose. They all want to make the lives of their angel babies matter. Through their stories they have managed to change hearts, and help other people realize the value of human life, no matter how broken or small. Before going through this journey, I never would have found all of the wonderful resources that are available to families who are walking the same heart wrenching journey. But these women have taken a very dark and sad situation, and used it to bring light and hope to those who are experiencing the same pain. It think that it is absolutely the most beautiful way to honor the life of a precious baby. 
       Through the past difficult months I have been able to find support groups and other resources online that have helped me to process and cope with the pain and sadness that I feel. I have been creating a list of these websites in the hope that I can share them with others. If anyone is experiencing the loss of a baby, whether through miscarriage or infant loss, I would love to pass along all of the incredible resources that I have found. Please let me know. I believe that in this amazing age, where technology is so relevant to our daily lives, we are so blessed to have unlimited resources at the push of a button. It has already made such an impact on my life, and I pray that these ministries will be able to continue to reach out and support people for many years to come.
     Yesterday I discovered was International Bereaved Mother's Day. I wanted to share what I read with all of you. This is taken from a beautiful ministry called Carly Marie Project Heal. Here is the link to their website: http://carlymarieprojectheal.com
        "International Bereaved Mothers Day was created to remind people about the true meaning of Mother’s Day. Do you know who started it? Anna Jarvis officially founded the traditional Mother’s Day to honour her mother Ann who experienced the death of 7 of her children and somehow through the years it has turned into a commercialized mess that corporate companies make millions of dollars from, but the worst thing is that bereaved mothers are completely forgotten. This day was created in honour of a bereaved mother. So I think it is time to take our day back to its roots. I believe we can do this by using our voices in a peaceful, loving way. To receive love, you must first give love.
     The traditional Mothers Day has proven to be an emotionally difficult day for so many mothers around the world. Mother’s Day needs to be healed and together we can heal it. International Bereaved Mother’s Day is a temporary movement. We take part in this day to use our voices to speak up and about what the true meaning of Mother’s Day. It is our greatest hope that sometime in the near future all mothers will be remembered and recognized and there will be no need for this day at all. On this day each year we come together to celebrate our connection, our mother hearts and our babies and children.
Sunday May 4th 2014, get together with your closest friends and family who understand and celebrate you. Celebrate your mother hearts, babies and children. And lets speak about the true meaning of Mother’s Day."

     I just wanted to share this with everyone because I think that it is so important to raise awareness. The loss of a child, whether through infant loss, miscarriage,  infertility, or child loss is so difficult to bear. In the past many mothers have had to suffer in silence. They were forced to just get over it and move on. But the pain of losing a child is not something that you can just "get over". It is a part of your heart ripped away. That is not something that will ever heal completely. Going through this journey has helped me to realize how blessed I am to be able to share our story, and not cover it up. So if you know of anyone who has experienced the loss of a child, no matter what type of loss, I challenge you to think about them today. Throughout this week we can celebrate the mother hearts that we have, we can celebrate all of the beautiful babies and children that God had blessed into our lives. But let us not forget those who are missing a piece of their heart.


“A mother is not defined by the number of children you can see, but by the love that she holds in her heart.”

                                                                                                             - Franchesca Cox



No comments:

Post a Comment